Need a recipe to use up a variety of summer greens? This recipe is fabulous for combining summer greens, summer squash, and other summer vegetables. This particular savory tart recipe combines swiss chard, zucchini, garlic curls, onions, and beet greens with gruyere cheese. (*Indicates Potomac Vegetable Farm (PVF) produce. For more information about what we are doing with our PVF CSA share, click here.)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large bunch swiss chard*
- 1 medium bunch beet greens*
- 5 garlic curls, chopped*
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped*
- 2 medium onions, chopped*
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 6 oz gruyere cheese, grated
- 3 large eggs, beaten*
- 1 sheet of frozen, ready-to-bake puff pastry, thawed (or prepare your own pastry dough)
- Separate stems from the leaves of the swiss chard and beet greens. Chop the stems and set aside. Coarsely chop the leaves, set aside in a different bowl.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a large, cast iron skillet (or other large skillet) over medium-high heat. Saute onions and garlic curls for 5 minutes, or until they begin to brown. Add chopped zucchini and the stems of the swiss chard and beet greens. Saute for another 5 minutes. Add the leaves of the swiss chard and beet greens. Saute for another 2-3 minutes, or until the leaves are just wilted. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Combine eggs and grated gruyere cheese in large bowl. Add the vegetables, and stir until well blended.
- Roll out thawed puff pastry, and carefully use it to cover the bottom of a 9X13″ baking dish prepared with cooking spray (the puff pastry should be large enough to cover the bottom and sides of the baking dish, with extra hanging over the edges).
- Add tart filling (vegetables, cheese and egg mixture). Carefully, fold over the edges of the puff pastry, on top of the filling.
- Bake at 425 for 10 minutes. Turn down heat to 350 and bake for an another 15 minutes, or until the tart filling is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving (preferably longer).
- Serve with a simple summer salad.