This is a delicious vegan recipe that combines sweet and savory flavors and beautiful fall vegetables.
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red or yellow onion
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1-2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8-1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable (or chicken) broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 (15 1/2 oz) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 oz) can Muir Glen fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium summer squash (such as zucchini or yellow squash), sliced
- 1 large bunch of winter greens (such as kale or swiss chard), rinsed and chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, butternut squash and garlic; saute for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cumin through cayenne pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 1 1/2 cups broth, tomato paste, chickpeas, tomatoes and summer squash; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until butternut squash is tender.
- Add greens, cover and cook for 5 minutes or until greens are tender.
- Stir in cilantro and lemon juice.
- Serve over couscous.