This summer we received swiss chard in our weekly CSA farm share for 2 months straight. I love swiss chard, but I started running out of creative recipe ideas. My husband and I love pizza, so I thought…why not add it to a simple pesto based pizza. The pizza turned out to be fantastic – savory and packed with flavor. (*Indicates Potomac Vegetable Farm (PVF) produce. For more information about what we are doing with our PVF CSA share, click here.)
- 1 large bunch swiss chard*
- 1 large onion, chopped*
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or garlic curls)*
- 1 medium summer squash (zucchini, yellow squash or other types)*
- 12 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1 pizza dough
- 2 tbsp course cornmeal
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Slice or chop all the vegetables. Heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet wok (or other large skillet). Add onions and garlic (or garlic curls). Saute for 5 minutes, or until they begin to brown. Add summer squash and swiss chard, saute for another 5 minutes, or until squash begins to brown. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, shred the cheese.
- Sprinkle cornmeal on a large pizza stone. Roll out pizza dough on the pizza stone.
- Bake rolled out pizza dough in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and spread pesto evenly over pizza. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese, then top with vegetables, and the rest of the cheese.
- Bake at 475 for about 10 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with a simple green salad.