This is a fabulous recipe to use leftover roasted turkey or chicken. The base recipe comes from a good friend of mine, Ellen. Serve topped with sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese and with your favorite cornbread.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium organic red onions, diced
- 4 medium organic carrots, peeled and sliced
- 5-7 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cans organic diced tomatoes (such as Fire Roasted Muir Glen), undrained
- 1 to 2 (8 oz) cans of diced green chilies
- 2 cans of organic pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 quarts organic, free-range chicken broth
- 1 large bunch organic collard greens, chopped
- 1 medium bunch organic kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup organic fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 to 1.5 lb chopped roasted turkey or chicken
- Organic, light sour cream
- Shredded organic cheddar cheese
- Organic tortilla chips
- Heat extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat in a large stock pot. Saute onions, carrots and garlic, stirring frequently until golden – about 10-15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes through oregano. Shortly after, add chicken broth. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add collard greens through turkey. Bring back to a boil, and simmer for another 15 minutes, or until the collard greens are tender.
- Serve hot, topped with a dollop of light sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and crushed tortilla chips.