Baking french toast makes this a fabulous dish for entertaining. I will never go back to making french toast on the stove top!
- 1 large loaf organic fresh white or wheat bread (this is extremely important – fresh bread really makes this recipe)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups organic skim milk
- 2 tbsp organic half and half
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp organic, unsalted butter, melted
- Spray a 13-by-9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cut loaf of bread into six to eight 1.5-2-inch-thick slices (reserve ends for another use). Arrange in a single layer in the baking dish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Whisk together eggs through salt in a bowl until well combined, then pour evenly over bread. Let stand for 15-20 minutes, turning bread every 5 minutes, until all the egg mixture is absorbed by the bread. (It helps to poke the bread with a fork on both sides to speed up the absorption process.)
- Sprinkle bread with melted butter, sugar and cinnamon. Bake until bread is puffed and top is golden (about 20 minutes). Serve immediately with maple syrup, powdered sugar, and fresh berries.