Adapted from Udon with Mushroom Broth, Cabbage and Yams
- 6 cups organic vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 lemongrass stalks, outer dark layers removed, all but bottom 4 inches cut off and discarded
- 2 6-inch strips dried seaweed (kombu)
- 1 tbsp dried japanese red pepper (tokai togarashi wagiri)
- 2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 1 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 10 ounces fresh, shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced garlic greens (or green onions)
- 4 cups 1/2-inch-wide crosswise slices cored Napa cabbage
- 2 cups slender carrots, peeled, thinly sliced on diagonal
- 10 ounces Japanese-style udon noodles or soba noodles
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 to 6 ounces semi-firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (optional)
- Tamari soy sauce
- Bring broth and water to simmer in large pot over medium heat. Add ginger through red pepper. Cover; simmer about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large non-stick pan, saute onions, mushrooms and garlic greens in 1 tbsp oil over medium high heat until mushrooms are tender (about 5-10 minutes). Set aside.
- Prepare udon noodles according to package instructions. Set aside.
- Using tongs, remove kombu; discard kombu. Strain broth through fine-mesh strainer into another large pot; discard solids (except for ginger pieces) in strainer. Chop ginger pieces and add back to pot.
- Add chopped carrots, onion/mushroom mixture, and cabbage to the broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until carrots and cabbage are crisp tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add cilantro, tofu, tamari, and rice vinegar to broth and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using tongs, divide noodles among bowls. Ladle broth over and serve.
Lemongrass, an herb that resembles a green onion, has a mild lemony flavor.
Kombu (a.k.a. kelp) is a variety of seaweed that’s often used for making stock. It’s usually sold dried.
Tokai Togarashi Wagiri is a type of japanese dried red pepper (be careful, it’s extremely HOT)
Tamari is a dark sauce made from soybeans.
Udon is a thick wheat-or corn-based Japanese noodle.