This is a versatile, easy recipe and makes a delicious red pizza sauce.
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes (can also use an equivalent amount of fresh tomatoes, pureed in a blender or food processor)
- 1/4 cup EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- Fresh herbs (try 1/4 cup chopped basil)
- Salt to taste
- Combine crushed tomatoes, EVOO, and herbs in a mediums sized saucepan. Bring to a gently boil, reduce heat to medium low, and continue to cook, uncovered or until the sauce becomes thick. About 1 hour.
- If needed, add salt and pepper to taste. (Note: Be sure to taste the sauce first before adding salt, especially if you’re using canned tomatoes, because it does become quite salt as the water evaporates and the sauce thickens.)
Pingback: Grilled Pizza with Onions, Garlic & Kalamata Olives « yum! yum!