These hearty quesadillas taste great with a flavorful salsa, such as Tomatillo & Cilantro Salsa, and sour cream. Serve with a side salad.
- 4 cups shredded, peeled sweet potato (about 3 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp dried ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded cheese – mixture of white cheddar and feta; or white cheddar and monterey jack
- Cooking spray
- Saute onions and garlic in EVOO until onions are translucent.
- Add sweet potato, oregano, cayenne and cumin. Cook, stirring frequently in a large, deep dish saute pan to prevent sticking for about 10 minutes.
- When the sweet potato is tender, add salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- On a cutting board or large plate prep the quesadillas: sprinkle a little cheese on one tortilla, spoon about 1/2 cup of sweet potato mixture on top of cheese, spread evenly up to the edges of the tortilla (you may need to add more or less of the sweet potato mixture depending on the size of the tortilla – ideally you want about a 1/2 inch thick layer of sweet potato on each tortilla), top with a little more cheese and another tortilla.
- Spray the frying pan with cooking spray. Add one prepared quesadilla, spray top with additional cooking spray. Cook until browned on one side and then flip and cook other side until crispy and brown. Repeat for remaining quesadillas.
- Top quesadillas with tomatillo salsa and sour cream.