This recipe is from the Moosewood Restaurant New Classics Cookbook. Serve with Fall Vegetable Stew.
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp freshly grated lemon peel
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly oil baking sheet.
- Place the butter pieces and lemon peel in a medium bowl or in a food processor. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt over butter. By hand or with the food processor, mix the butter into the flour until evenly distributed. Add the thyme and mix well. Add the buttermilk and stir or pulse briefly. The dough will be soft and a little sticky.
- On a lightly floured surface, pat the dough into a 9-inch circle that is about 1/2 inch thick. Slice into six pie-shaped wedges. Place the wedges on a the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the biscuits are firm and golden brown.