I never knew what brussel sprouts looked like growing on the stalk. What a treat to discover that last week’s CSA included them on the stalk…right in time for the big Thanksgiving meal! Prepping them for this dish was so simple – just snap them off the stalk, no need to cut the off the ends of each brussel sprout.
This is a really easy, simple recipe that can be used with green beans, brussel sprouts, asparagus, or any number of spring or winter green vegetables. In this case, I had green beans and brussel sprouts on hand from my CSA share. The recipe calls for shallots, however this time I didn’t have any so I used finely diced red onion from the farmers’ market.
(* Indicates CSA vegetable.)
- 2 pounds mixture of green beans and brussel sprouts (or asparagus spears)*
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 cup finely chopped shallots (or finely diced red onions or vidalia onions)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar (or use 1 tbsp, if you don’t have any lemon rind on hand – see note below next to lemon rind)
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind from 1 organic lemon (or substitute 1 tbsp lemon juice for 1 tbsp of the balsamic vinegar)
- Freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly steam whole brussel sprouts and green beans together in a pressure cooker with about 1 cup of water or according to your pressure cooker’s directions. Cook on high until just comes to pressure. Run partially steamed beans and brussel sprouts under cold water to stop them from cooking. Drain and set aside.
- Saute shallots or onions and thyme in extra virgin olive oil in large pan over medium-high heat, until slightly browned. Meanwhile, cut brussel sprouts in half. Add brussel sprout halves and whole green beans to the pan. Saute for about 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add melted butter. Saute until vegetables begin to brown. Add balsamic vinegar (and lemon juice if your using it). Sautee for one minute, until vegetables are well coated. Remove from heat, stir in lemon rind and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.