- 1 1/2 lbs small beets (red, pink, or golden – or a variety)*, washed well with skins
- 1 large head of green or red lettuce (such as Bibb & Red-Tinged Lolla Rose Lettuce)*, torn into pieces and rinsed and drained well with a salad spinner
- 1 medium orange, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp raspberry vinegar (or freshly squeezed lemon juice or high quality bottled lemon juice such as Santa Cruz)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 small to medium garlic clove, minced*
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper, divided
- Preheat oven (or toaster oven) to 400 degrees F. Place the beets into an 8X8 inch baking dish. Drizzle with 3 tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Toss to coat. Cover with foil and roast for 60-70 minutes, or until the beets are tender when pierced with a knife or fork. Remove from the oven, uncover and let cool. When cool enough to handle, rub off (or peel off) skins with your hands or a knife. Cut into 1/4-inch thick slices and cut the slices in fours or eights. Transfer the beets to a large bowl.
- Combine 3 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp raspberry vinegar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp ground pepper, and garlic in a small class container with tight fitting lid (such as an old jam or jelly container). Shake until well combined.
- Combine lettuce, orange and beet pieces in a large bowl. And evenly toss with about 2-3 tbsp of the salad dressing.