This delicious variation of apple crisp combines the sweetness of local fall apples with the tartness of New England fresh cranberries. Serve crisp hot, room temperature, or cold with a couple scoops of vanilla bean ice cream. Recipe adapted from Fine Cooking (click here for the original recipe). (* Indicates CSA vegetable.)
For the streusel
- 4-1/2 oz. (1 cup) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped lightly toasted walnuts
- 1/4 tsp. table salt
- 3 oz. (6 Tbs.) unsalted butter, melted
For the filling
- 5 medium tart baking apples (or a mixture of CSA apples)*
- 6 oz. fresh cranberries (1-3/4 cups)
- 3/4 cup plus 6 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 1 oz. (3-1/2 Tbs.) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Position a rack in the center of the oven, set a heavy-duty rimmed baking sheet on the rack, and heat the oven to 350°F.
- Make the streusel. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, walnuts, and salt. Using your fingers, blend the butter into the flour mixture. Set aside.
- Make the filling. Peel, quarter, and core each apple. Cut each quarter lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices and then cut each slice crosswise at 1/4-inch intervals to make tiny rectangles. In a food processor, pulse the cranberries with 3/4 cup of the sugar until coarsely chopped. In a large bowl, combine the remaining 6 Tbs. sugar with the flour, ginger, and cinnamon. Toss in the cranberry mixture and apples.
- Mound the filling into a 8X8″ baking dish. Sprinkle the streusel topping over the apple mixture, pressing the streusel between your fingers into small lumps as you sprinkle.
- Put the crisp on the heated baking sheet and bake until the streusel is deeply browned and the filling is bubbling vigorously at the edges of the pie, 50-60 minutes. Check every 20 minutes, and if the pastry edge or the streusel browns before the filling is done, loosely cover the top or edges of the pie as needed with aluminum foil.
- Transfer to a rack and cool completely before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream.