This is a super easy and quick recipe that tastes delicious. During tomato season, try using CSA or farmers’ market tomatoes in place of the canned tomatoes. (*Indicates farmers’ market vegetable.)
Recipe adapted from the Moosewood Restaurant Celebrates cookbook.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups chopped red onions (about 2 large onions)*
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 cups organic, free-range chicken broth
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans white beans (such as great northern or cannellini)
- 3 (14.5 oz) cans Muir Glen organic fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Warm oil in a large stockpot. Add the onions and saute on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until they begin to brown. Stir in oregano and basil and add chicken broth. Bring just to a boil; then cover and simmer for 5 minutes, until the onions are very soft.
- In batches in a blender, puree the onion mixture with 2 cups of beans and 3 cups of tomatoes. Pour the pureed mixture back into the stockpot. Stir in the remaining beans and tomatoes and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the balsamic vinegar and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, topped with parmesan cheese.
Pingback: CSA – Licking Creek Bend Farm « yum! yum!