John inspired me to try a carrot ginger soup recipe. I ended up finding one on epicurious.com. After reading the reviews, I modified it quite a bit. I served a cup of it along side the Roasted Autumn Vegetables and Grilled Pork Chops with Chimichurri Sauce. Here’s my version of the recipe:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger (way too much, only add about 2 tbsp)
- 3-4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 4 cups sliced peeled carrots (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cups orange juice
- 1/4 cup half and half (1/4 cup)
- 1-1.5 cups apple cider
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- freshly grated pepper
1. Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and 1/4 cup minced ginger and sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add chicken or vegetable stock and sliced carrots. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about 30 minutes.
2. Working in batches, puree mixture in blender or processor. Return soup to saucepan. Mix in orange juice, then half and half and cider. Cook over low heat 5 minutes. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before continuing, thinning with more stock if necessary.) Ladle soup into bowls.
Pingback: Grilled Pork with Chimichurri, Carrot Soup, and Roasted Autumn Vegetables « yum! yum!
Pingback: CSA – Licking Creek Bend Farm « yum! yum!