After making this delicious recipe, you’ll never go back to using store bought enchilada sauce. This recipe is very forgiving, so try experimenting with a variety of beans and vegetables for the filling (see end of recipe for examples).
- 4 tbsp EVOO, divided
- 1 large zucchini, cut in long slices 1/4″ thick*
- 1 large yellow squash, cut in long slices 1/4″ thick*
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut in long slices 1/4″ thick*
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in long slices 1/4″ thick*
- 1 large sweet onion, cut in thick, whole rings*
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen whole-kernel corn*
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups enchilada sauce
- Cooking spray
- 8 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas or 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 oz feta, crumbled
- Prepare enchilada sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- While enchilada sauce is simmering, coat sliced vegetables in olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Grill on hight heat, flipping once until cooked. Remove from grill and cut into 1/4″ square pieces. (Alternatively: Dice all vegetables. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.) Stir in beans.
- Spread 1 cup enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer one row of tortillas across top of sauce (you may need to cut tortillas in half). Spread 1/3 of vegetable mixture on top of sauce; sprinkle with 1/4 of cheddar and feta cheese; and 1/2 cup enchilada sauce. Repeat layers, ending in sauce. (Alternatively: Spoon about 1/2 cup vegetable mixture down center of 1 tortilla; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese, and roll up. Place seam-side down in baking dish. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas, zucchini mixture, and 14 tablespoons cheese. Spread remaining 2 cups sauce evenly over enchiladas.)
- Cover with foil; bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; top with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until cheese melts.
- 2 cups diced zucchini, 1 (10 oz) package frozen whole-kernel corn
- 3 medium eggplant; 1 bunch collard greens, kale or swiss chard; 1 medium to large leek
- 1 bunch garlic scapes; 1 bunch swiss chard; 2 ears fresh corn; 1 large onion