This simple syrup works well in cocktails, but would also be delicious drizzled over pound cake, or even ice cream!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- the peel of one orange (cut into strips, remove after cooking, and save for cocktails)
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves, torn
- Place sugar and water in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved
- Lower the heat and add the orange peel and basil
- Ensure the mixture does not boil and stir occasionally.
- Strain the mixture and cool completely. Discard the basil, but save the orange peel for orange-basil cocktails.