This is a simple, yet delicious, 4-ingredient recipe for Philadelphia-style ice cream from Ina Garten. I served it over strawberries with some amaretto-grand marnier whipped cream on top. Perfection!
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean
Heat the milk, vanilla bean, and sugar over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Add the vanilla extract. Remove the vanilla bean, scrape the insides and stir the specks back in. Cool the mixture, then chill the ice cream by placing it in a sealed container and placing it in a mixture of ice, salt, and water (or put it in an ice cream making machine.
This savory and subtly sweet polish crepe (nalesniki) is a wonderful weekend brunch dish. Serve with potato salad, a simple green salad, and deviled eggs for a simple Polish Easter brunch. (*Indicates CSA product.)
- 1 cup organic skim milk
- 2 organic eggs*
- 1 cup all-purpose organic flour
- 2 tbsp organic salted butter, melted
- 2 cups organic, part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 organic eggs*
- 1 1/2 tsp sweet orange marmalade
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 2 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 2 tbsp organic butter*
- sour cream
- Combine crepe batter ingredients in a large bowl and beat on medium speed with an electric mixer until ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Set aside in the refrigerator for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine the ricotta cheese through sugar in a large bowl.
- Heat a large, non-stick skillet on medium-heat. Grease pan well with butter. Pour a small amount (about 1/4 cup) of the crepe batter onto the greased pan (note: the pan must be hot), titling the pan to allow batter to spread evenly. Brown lightly on each side (about 15-30 seconds per side; use a spatula to carefully peel away the crepe from the pan and flip – see this video for more information). Remove the crepe to a large plate, and repeat until the batter is used up.
- Spread about 1/3-1/2 cup of the filling on each crepe (except for about a 1 inch edge around the crepe), and roll up, completely enclosing the filling.
- Melt about 1 tbsp of butter in the skillet, and lightly brown the outside of each rolled up crepe.
- Garnish with sour cream and serve.