arugula, breadcrumbs, cheddar cheese, chipotle, cilantro, corn, cumin, jalapeno, oats, onion, pinto beans, potatoes
This hearty vegetarian burger, adapted from from Cooking Light, is one of the tastiest I’ve ever had. Be prepared though, because it can be quite spicy. Serve with a side of potato fries for a complete meal. (*Indicates produce from Star Hollow Farm.)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs or quick oats
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeño pepper
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg*
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (8 3/4-ounce) can no salt-added whole-kernel corn, drained (or use frozen corn)
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon canned minced chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 large potatoes, peeled and sliced into 3 inch strips*
- 1 tsp montreal steak seasoning (a spice blend made of coarse salt, black pepper, red pepper, garlic, fennel and other spices and herbs)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6-8 mini buns
- Arugula leaves*
- 6-8 thick slices of tomato*
- Preheat oven (or toaster oven) to 425 degrees F.
- Toss sweet potatoes with oil and seasoning. Place on a 9X13″ baking dish, coated with olive oil. Bake for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender in the middle and crispy and brown on the edges.
- To prepare burgers, combine the first 10 ingredients in a large bowl. Add pinto beans and corn; partially mash with a fork. Divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each portion into a 3 1/2-inch patty, and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- To prepare chipotle mayonnaise, combine mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon chipotle in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan, and cook 4 minutes on each side or until thoroughly heated. Place patties on bottom halves of buns; top each patty with 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, arugula, one thick slice of tomato, and top half of bun.