beef, collard greens, jalapenos, kidney beans, onion, sausage
This is a deliciously, savory chili that combines flavors of red wine, Italian sausage, ground beef, kidney beans and collard greens. Fabulous served with Green Chili Cheddar Cornmeal Muffins. Recipe adapted from Cooking Light’s All American Chili. (* Indicates CSA vegetables.)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces hot turkey or chicken Italian sausage
- 2 large vidalia onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound all-natural, hormone-free ground sirloin
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped (can use frozen – see Tips page, hot peppers)
- 2 tablespoons + 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/4 cups Merlot or other fruity red wine
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 4 medium bunches collard greens or kale (about 8-10 cups)*
- 1 tbsp balsamic creme vinegar
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded organic sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage, onion, and the next 3 ingredients (onion through jalapeño) to pan; cook 8 minutes or until sausage and beef are browned, stirring to crumble.
- Add chili powder and the next 7 ingredients (chili powder through bay leaves), and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, tomatoes, and kidney beans; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped collard greens or kale, and cooke for an additional 15 minutes, or until greens or kale are tender.
- Discard the bay leaves. Sprinkle each serving with cheddar cheese, and serve with Chili Cheddar Cornmeal Muffins.