This is a hearty, moist and subtly sweet cornbread recipe from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics cookbook. Serve with a hearty soup or stew, such as Mexican Lentil Stew or Tortilla Stew with Roasted Turkey.
- 1 cup organic cornmeal (or corn flour – for a lighter cornbread)
- 1 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 organic, free-range eggs
- 1/4 cup organic canola oil
- 1/3 cup organic brown sugar
- 1 cup organic low-fat plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Using cooking spray, evenly coat a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, brown sugar and yogurt.
- Stir the wet ingredients in the dry ingredients until just blended (be careful not to over mix).
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared baking dish. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve with butter and drizzled with honey.