(* indicates Star Hollow Farm produce.)
Butternut Squash Filling
- 1 large red onion, roughly chopped*
- 4-6 cloves garlic, peeled and halved*
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed*
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary*
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme*
- 3/4 cup red wine (such as merlot or cabernet sauvignon)
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes (such as Muir Glen)
- 2 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 lb baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced*
- 1 medium bunch swiss chard, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 3 cups organic part-skim ricotta
- 2 organic, free-range eggs, lightly beaten*
- 1/2-3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 lb uncooked lasagna noodles
- 6 oz freshly shredded organic mozzarella cheese
- 6 oz freshly shredded asiago cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Butternut Squash Filling: Combine onion through thyme in a 13X9-inch glass baking dish, and toss until ingredients are evenly coated with oil. Bake for 30-40 minutes at 425 degrees F, stirring every 10 minutes, until vegetables begin to brown. Mash with a fork and transfer to a medium-sized bowl. Set aside, and reduce oven heat to 375 degrees F. You will need the 13X9-inch dish to cook the lasagna, so do not clean, just set aside for later use.
- Sauce: Combine red wine, tomatoes, 2 tbsp oil and oregano in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a large non-stick pan. Saute mushrooms on medium-high heat for 10 minutes, or until tender and beginning to brown. Set aside. Puree tomato mixture in a blender. Transfer back to medium saucepan, and add cooked mushrooms. Stir and simmer for 10-15 additional minutes, until sauce begins to thicken. Stir in swiss chard and set aside.
- Cheese Filling: In a large bowl, combine ricotta through salt. Stir well and set aside.
- To prepare the lasagna, pour about 1/2 cup sauce into the 13X9-inch dish you used to make the butternut squash filling (no need to clean, just scrape clean with a rubber spatula). Cover the bottom of the dish with a layer of uncooked lasagna noodles arranged close together. Evenly spread on 1 cup of cheese filling and then 1/2 cup butternut squash filling. Spoon on 1/2 cup of sauce. Add a second layer of noodles followed by another 1 cup of cheese filling and 1/2 cup butternut squash filling and 1/2 cup sauce. Finish with a layer of noodles and thoroughly moisten by 1/2 cup of sauce and 1/4 cup butternut squash filling. Evenly sprinkle with shredded mozzarella/asiago cheese mixture.
- Cover and bake for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes, until lasagna is bubbly, the noodles are tender, and the top is browned. Remove from oven and let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a green salad.