balsamic vinegar, cabbage, carrots, celeriac, celery root, mushrooms, pearled barley, rosemary, thyme, white wine
This hearty vegan soup is fabulous comfort food for a cold winter day. It’s packed with flavor and texture. If you’re not vegan, don’t worry…you’ll fall in love with this soup! Eat this for dinner, or for lunch. It reheats well and stays good for a week in the fridge.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion or 2 medium leeks, diced or chopped
- 1 lb. baby bella mushrooms, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 medium celery root (also known as celeriac)
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 very small cabbage, or 1/2 medium cabbage, finely shredded and chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth (use organic chicken broth if you aren’t vegan or vegetarian)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup organic pearled barley
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp cream white balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot, heat oil over medium-hight heat. Add onions and cook until brown, about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for another 5-10 minutes, until they are tender.
- Add celery root through wine. Bring to boil. Add barley. Return to a boil, and reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in both vinegars and season with salt and pepper to taste.