This is a wonderful, refreshing take on traditional hummus. Instead of using chickpeas, this Moroccan version calls for red kidney beans. Serve with fresh pita bread or other type of flat bread.
Recipe adapted from Flatbreads & Flavors by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid.
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans organic red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dried chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2-3/4 cup flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (or high quality bottled such as Santa Cruz Organic)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Add beans through lemon juice to a food processor and pulse until evenly processed.
- Slowly add oil until well-blended and smooth.