This recipe is adapted from “Tim Love’s Wild Game Rub” in Food & Wine July 2010.
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp pure chile powder (you can find this in the bulk spice section of most food cooperatives)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 2 (1 1/2 inch) thick grass-fed ribeye steaks
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Combine kosher salt through rosemary in a jar with tight fitting lid. Mix well and set aside. (Note: the spice rub will keep in the jar for a long time.)
- Rub about 1/2 tbsp spice rub on each side of each steak. Using a cooking brush, lightly brush each side of each steak with olive oil.
- Bring grill to a high heat. Sear each steak on one side for 5 minutes, turn and sear other side for 5 more minutes. Without turning the steaks, turn heat to low and grill for an additional 4 minutes. (Note: you will need to alter these grilling directions, depending on the thickness and cut of the steak.)
- Serve with grilled vegetables and fresh ricotta cheese.