This recipe calls for applesauce and canola oil, creating an exceptionally moist bread. Serve with coffee and tea for a morning snack, or as a light dessert for lunch. The sweet potatoes used in this recipe are organic and come from Next Step Produce, and the free-range eggs from Waterview Foods, both purchased from the Dupont Circle Freshfarm Market.
- 3 1/2 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour, organic
- 3 cups sugar, organic
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon, organic
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg, organic
- 1 tsp ground cloves, organic
- 1/2 cup organic canola oil (such as Spectrum Naturals)
- 1/2 cup all-natural, applesauce
- 2 cups mashed sweet potato (about 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cooked in a pressure cooker until tender and soft, and then mashed with a fork or other tool), organic
- 4 free-range, organic eggs
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped, organic
- 1-2 tbsp turbinado sugar, organic
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour through cloves in a large bowl. Stir well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine oil through eggs. Whisk until eggs are fully incorporated into the other ingredients.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together (be careful not to over stir). Then fold in dried cranberries and pecans.
- Pour mixture into 2 bread pans coated with cooking spray. Bake for 30 minutes, then sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for an additional 30-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle of each bread pan comes out clean.