carrots, chili, garlic, green chilies, potatoes, sweet potatoes
Need a delicious chili to use up a random variety of root vegetables and tubers? Then this recipe is for you. This chili combines potatoes, sweet potatoes and carrots with green chilies, pinto beans and spices. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, and cornbread. (* Indicates vegetables purchased from Star Hollow Farm’s online farmers’ market.)
- 1 large onion*, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic*, minced
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large sweet potato*, diced into 1/4″ cubes
- 4 small-medium potatoes* (try using a mixture of different varieties, such as gold, white and purple – for more information about potatoes, click here)
- 5 medium carrots*, diced
- 1 28 oz can organic diced tomatoes (such as Muir Glen fire roasted)
- 2 1/2 cups organic, free-range chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 14 oz can organic pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup organic cilantro, chopped
- Saute chopped onion and garlic in 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat in a large stockpot. Saute until golden (about 10 minutes). Add oregano through salt. Stir and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add sweet potato through green chilies.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Add pinto beans and brown sugar. Cook an addition 20-40 minutes or until the carrots, sweet potatoes and potatoes are tender.
- Stir in cilantro and remove from heat.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream and cornbread.