ancho chilies, black beans, butternut squash, chocolate, green chilies, jalapeno, kale, sweet potato
What a unique and complex variation of the standard chili! This recipe combines several different types of chili peppers and chocolate to create an extremely savory chili. Top with organic sour cream.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-4 tbsp ancho chili powder
- 4 tsp cumin
- 1-2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 quart vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 4 (8-ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 large bunch swiss chard or kale
- 2-3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1-1.5 oz semi-sweet dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- In a large stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute onions until brown, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add broth, water and red bell peppers through tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until all vegetables are almost tender.
- Stir in swiss chard/kale through chocolate. Stir until chocolate is melted and mixed evenly throughout. Cook for another 5-10 minutes until all the vegetables are tender and the swiss chard/kale is cooked.
- Stir in soy sauce and vinegar, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with organic sour cream.