Very flavorful and colorful side dish.
Adapted from Gourmet. Original recipe available at epicurious.com.
- 1 (3 1/2- to 4-pound) spaghetti squash
- 2-4 tbsp EVOO
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced organic tomatoes
- 1/2 cup golden raisins (such as Trader Joe’s)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (such as Trader Joe’s)
- 1 medium red onion
- 3-5 mini red and yellow sweet peppers
- 2 cups okra
- 1 bunch Swiss chard
- Turn oven temperature to 400 °. Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash halves cut side down in a 13×9-inch baking dish. Add water to measure 1/2-inch deep. Bake at 400 ° for 45 minutes. Turn squash over; bake an additional 15 minutes or until tender; cool. Scrape inside of squash with a fork to remove strands to measure 6 cups. Keep warm.
- In a large skillet, add EVOO and turn heat to medium-high. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring, until golden, about 1 minute. Add sliced peppers and okra. Cook until almost done. Add undrained can of tomatoes and rinsed and chopped swiss chard. Cook until swiss chard is wilted and stem pieces are tender (about 3-5 minutes). Stir in spices and salt and remove from heat.
- Carefully halve squash lengthwise (it will give off steam) and remove and discard seeds. Working over a bowl, scrape squash flesh with a fork, loosening and separating strands as you remove it from skin. Toss with onion/garlic/spice mixture, fresh herbs, raisins and pine nuts.