adzuki beans, black beans, casserole, eggplant, greek, moussaka, navy beans, onions, swiss chard
Three-Bean Vegetable Moussaka
(Based loosely on CookingLight recipe)
- 4-6 oz feta cheese, crumbled (organic, whole foods)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 15 oz organic ricotta cheese (organic, YES! Organic Market)
- 1 large onion, chopped (farmers’ market)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced (farmers’ market)
- 1 large bunch of green swiss chard (farmers’ market)
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 3 medium eggplants (farmers’ market)
- 1 jar (about 25 oz) marinara sauce (Newman’s Own Tomato & Basil) (if you have the time, make your own simple sauce with 28 oz can crushed tomatoes, 1/4 cup EVOO, chopped basil, pepper – simmer for 20-40 minutes, or until slightly thickened)
- 1 can (16 oz) black beans, drained
- 1 can (16 oz) adzuki beans, drained
- 1 can (16 oz) navy beans, drained
- 8 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Canola oil cooking spray
- Cut eggplant lengthwise, into 1/4 inch slices. Coat with some EVOO, freshly ground salt and pepper. Grill on both sides until cooked through. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. (Alternative cooking method: arrange eggplant on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450 degrees F for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Reduce oven to 375 degrees.)
- While eggplant is grilling or baking, saute onions and garlic in EVOO until soft (about 5-10 minutes). Meanwhile, rinse and chop swiss chard. Add to pan and cook until wilted. Turn off heat, set aside.
- Combine feta through ricotta cheese in a bowl, set aside.
- Shred mozzarella cheese using salad shooter or food processor.
- Rinse and drain beans together in a colander.
- Add sauteed swiss chard to feta mix.
- Spread 1 cup marinara sauce in the bottom of a 13X9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 5 eggplant slices over marinara, or enough to cover the marinara with one single layer of eggplant. Top with 1 2/3 cups swiss chard/feta mixture, and 1/3 of the beans. Repeat the layers. Cover and bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Top with mozzarella cheese and bake an additional 20 minutes or until cheese is browned.
Couscous with Golden Raisins and Pine Nuts
- 1 cup couscous (bulk, from Whole Foods)
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup golden raisins (trader joe’s)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (trader joe’s)
- Bring water to boil in medium sauce pan with tight fitting lid.
- Add couscous and raisins. Stir, cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes. Immediately fluff with a fork and add stir in pine nuts.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve Moussaka and couscous side by side.