This deliciously savory stew combines mexican flavors with hearty lentils and an assortment of colorful fall vegetables.
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 whole head garlic
- 1 pint tomatillos, quartered
- 2 jalapenos, halved lengthwise
- 2 cups lentils
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 4 small bell peppers, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 oz) can Muir Glen fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 cups organic chicken broth
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, rinsed
- 3 links organic, chicken sausage
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Preheat toaster oven to 325 degrees F.
- Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate cloves). Rub 1 tsp oil over garlic head and wrap in aluminum foil. In a small baking dish lined with aluminum foil, add tomatillos and jalapeno peppers, coat evenly with cooking spray.
- Bake tomatillos/jalapeno peppers at 325 for 20 minutes or until they being to brown (stirring occasionally) and place in a large bowl and set aside; in same oven, bake garlic for 1 hour. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp in the large bowl with roasted tomatillos. Set aside.
- While garlic and tomatillos/jalapenos are roasting, heat 2 tbsp oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots; saute 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in broth, bell peppers, cumin, coriander, oregano and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine garlic and roasted tomatillos/jalapeno peppers and cilantro in a blender or food processor. Pulse until well blended. Add mixture to lentils. In a large skillet, saute chicken sausage until browned. Add to lentils.
- Simmer lentils for an additional 15 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Place 2 cups lentil mixture in a blender (make sure to pick out any pieces of sausage – you do NOT want to blend any of these pieces). Process until smooth. Return pureed mixture to pot, stir well. Stir in vinegar
- Serve with cornbread or Green Chili Cheddar Cornmeal Muffins.