Wondering what to do with those CSA sunchokes (also called Jerusalem artichokes)? Try roasting them and throwing them on top of a homemade pizza.
- 1 pound sunchokes, washed well and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 large bunch of kale, coarsely chopped, stems removed
- 1 cup of Pizza Sauce
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese
- 1 Pizza Dough
- 1 tbsp coarse cornmeal
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss the sunchokes and garlic cloves with oil and 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Bake in a shallow dish or on a baking sheet for 20-30 minutes, until just tender. (Note: it is very easy to overdo sunchokes. They will turn to mush if cooked for too long, so monitor them closely.)
- Meanwhile, saute kale in 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil on medium heat until tender and cooked down. Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn oven to 475 degrees F. Roll out the pizza dough on a floured surface. Sprinkle 1 tbsp coarse cornmeal on a non-stick baking sheet or a pizza stone. Carefully place rolled out dough on top of the baking sheet or pizza stone. Bake in oven for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove partially cooked pizza crust from oven and evenly spread 3/4 cup to 1 cup sauce over the crust. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese, kale and sunchokes.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown.