I originally made this deliciously simple dish for New Year’s but made it again a few nights ago with the ingredients I had on hand. Yum!
Adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno (seeded for less heat, or keep the seeds for more heat), diced
- 3/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups dried black eyed-peas (or 3 cups fresh)
- 1 quart vegetable broth (or organic, free-range chicken broth if you aren’t vegetarian)
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 large bunch winter greens (such as kale, collards or swiss chard)
- cooked basmati rice
- crumbled feta cheese
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion through jalapeno. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in allspice and red pepper flakes and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the peas and broth. Bring to boil, then lower the heat to simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes. Add salt to taste and sweet potatoes, and cook for 15 additional minutes and add greens.
- Cook for another 15 minutes or until the peas, sweet potatoes and winter greens are tender.
- Serve over cooked basmati rice and top with crumbled feta.