While this is a healthier, vegetarian variation of Roasted Garbanzo Beans and Garlic with Rainbow Chard, it’s equally packed with flavor. The extra virgin olive oil is reduced to about half the amount and the addition of roasted eggplant, onions, and red bell pepper adds additional texture, color and flavor.
Serve with falafel, tabbouleh, green salad, and white bean hummus for a delicious vegetarian and vegan meal.
- 1 large sweet onion, such as vidalia, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 6-9 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup chickpeas (use can or you can use dried chickpeas that have been soaked in water for 24 hours)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly, ground pepper
- 2 bunches swiss chard, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine chopped vegetables, chickpeas, salt, 4 tbsp EVOO, and pepper in a 13X9″ baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes, stir.
- Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees. Bake uncovered for 10 minute intervals, stirring in between each interval, for another 20-40 minutes, until eggplant is very tender and vegetables begin to brown.
- While vegetables are roasting, heat 1 tbsp EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped swiss chard and vegetable broth. Reduce heat to medium and stirring frequently, cook swiss chard until tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine roasted vegetables and swiss chard.