This is definitely not your standard pizza. This recipe calls for roasted butternut squash, fontina cheese and bacon – a wonderfully, savory combination.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, and coarsely chopped into cubes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced in half, lengthwise
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/4 cup organic, free-range chicken broth
- 1/4 cup organic bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 8 oz fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 Pizza Dough
- 1 tbsp coarse cornmeal
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Toss the butternut squash, onions and garlic with oil and 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Bake in a shallow dish or on a baking sheet for 20-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until onions and squash begin to caramelize. Coarsely mash with a fork and add 1/4 cup chicken broth.
- Turn oven to 475 degrees F. Roll out the pizza dough on a floured surface. Sprinkle 1 tbsp coarse cornmeal on a non-stick baking sheet or a pizza stone. Carefully place rolled out dough on top of the baking sheet or pizza stone. Bake in oven for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove partially cooked pizza crust from oven and evenly spread butternut squash mixture. Top with shredded cheese and bacon.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown.